Kentucky Basketball Postgame Notes
Kentucky 74, Puerto Rico National Team Reserves 49
August 10, 2014
Sir Kendal Isaacs Gymnasium
Team Records, Notes
- This is Kentucky’s second international trip under John Calipari. UK previously visited Canada in the summer of 2010.
- UK was 3-0 under Calipari during the 2010 summer exhibition tour.
- The Wildcats return to action on Monday, Aug. 11 at 1 p.m. ET. UK will take on Champagne Chalons-Reims from France in its second game in the six-game week in the Bahamas.
- Kentucky finished the game with 20 assists and 11 steals.
- Ten players logged at least 15 minutes and scored at least two points.
- UK won the battle of the boards with a 38-31 advantage. Kentucky benefited from 28 defensive rebounds.
- Puerto Rico shot just 33 percent from the floor, while UK shot an impressive 48 percent.
First Half Facts
- Kentucky used the starting lineup of Devin Booker, Aaron Harrison, Andrew Harrison, Dakari Johnson and Alex Poythress.
- Poythress won the opening tip.
- Puerto Rico scored the game’s first basket.
- UK’s first subs of the contest were the second unit of Dominique Hawkins, Marcus Lee, Karl-Anthony Towns, Tyler Ulis and Derek Willis.
- UK alternated between the lineups with each unit playing around five minutes of game time before turning to the next squad of five.
- Poythress started strong with three quick offensive rebounds.
- Kentucky utilized a 10-2 run to close the half.
- The Wildcats owned a 38-31 lead at the break.
- Aaron Harrison had eight first half points to lead all scorers. Poythress led the squad with four rebounds.
Second Half Facts
- UK began the second half with Hawkins, Lee, Towns, Ulis and Willis in the lineup. That unit opened the half on a 6-0 run.
- The first three baskets of the stanza were aided by assists.
- Kentucky did not let up with the original starting five stretching the opening run to 16-2.
- UK grabbed its largest lead with 42.1 seconds remaining at 74-49.
- Aaron Harrison again led the scoring with seven second-half points. Lee and Towns both had six and Willis contributed five.
- Devin Booker scored nine points in his first collegiate action.
- Hit the team’s first 3-pointer.
- Aaron Harrison had a game-high 15 points.
- Scored in every way possible with at least one 3-pointer, dunk, jump shot, lay-up and free throw.
- Marcus Lee poured in nine points and added six rebounds.
- Tied several teammates for a team-high two steals.
- Connected on 67 percent of his shots from the field.
- Alex Poythress logged 10 points and added six rebounds.
- Was active on the boards with a squad-high three offensive snags.
- Karl-Anthony Towns scored 10 points and added a team-best seven rebounds.
- Hit both of his free throws.
- Derek Willis had five second half points and added two steals and a pair of assists.
- Ignited the second half rally with an opening backdoor alley-oop dunk from Towns.
- Tyler Ulis dished out a team-high five assists.
- Scored two points.
- Added a pair of steals.